Friday, 24 October 2008
Wigan Robin Park (P)review - The Le's
Photo courtesy of the Cheadle lads
We're out of the grey and back in the red with apologies for the lack of updates on the blog. Sometimes real life gets in the way. Well real life, book deadlines, Adnams bitter and downright laziness but...
With two of the le's out the way we travel to the third on Saturday. The le's? No not some obscure scouse band but teams ending in le. We had Cheadle a week back, Bootle in midweek and this week we go to Castleton. Er Rochdale. And with a draw and defeat so far surely a win is on the cards this Saturday.
Cheadle Town... In a game that saw neither team giving much away the nineties minutes ended one a piece. For a totally unbiased report and some excellent photos see this excellent website http://www.cheadletownfc.com/
Basically I'll just concur with that and say it was good to meet up with the Cheadle lads. For a biased report check out the video of the game (when I work out how to put it on here!).
Bootle was cold, dark, rainy and just as midweek football should be. Pity the bar wasn't open but the tea hut was absolutely splendid. Pies, hot dogs, home made soup, decent coffee and all sorts in between...
I'd settled on a tray of chips before the game. I was going for a pint but put my head in a couple of the local bevvy houses and thought better of it. It was very scouse. As was the ground as the tell-tale signs of marijuana smoke wafted across the stands. I'm sure I heard some Pink Floyd being played at some point...
Also good to meet up with some AFC Liverpool fans who were there checking out their rival teams. And if they'd checked out just the first half they would say that Bootle are a fair-decent side. They battered us but thankfully it was only 2-0 at the break - mainly due to some excellent goalkeeping and desperate defending.
The second half saw us get back into the game and a late rally and great effort by Ryan Small almost saw us equalise. As it was we had to settle with just a Ben Kay goal and no points.
It's one of those things and if we take the second half performance into the game at Rochdale we should have too much for the second bottom team.
The Wigan Robin Bastards will be on the march (or more likely the train) and are looking forward to visiting what is one of the oldest and most established clubs in the league - not withstanding the new name. As we land before midday it will be interesting to see how long we last in the ground after being warned about OUR language in th'athletics stadium by some of THEIR fans earlier this season. Should be fun and here are 21 things that could happen
1. It'll be off
But if it's not then
2. The Bear will come on and score
3. The Olde Bastard will get some friendly abuse
4. The Whistle Stop Brekkkie will be the only thing I eat all day
5. So I won't be able to blame no food on being drunk
6. We'll end up spending ages explaining that the Premiership is not all it's set up to be to bemused Rochdale fans
7. Meanwhile the results will go against Latics again
8. Ryan Small will get two goals, kiss the badge and talk endlessly about them to anybody that will listen to him in the Bath Springs - for the next two weeks!
9. Their announcer will make Taffy sound like Richard Burton
10. The lobby gobbler will be linesman again
11. Ben Kay will lose his alice band and spend 20 minutes looking for it in the muddy penalty box
12. Jay Foulds will have two good games on the trot!
13. The Bear will win on the coupon again
14. Castleton will be a decent old place
15. And their clubhouse will lead to everybody saying: "Wish we had a club like this"
16. Bootle will lose this weekend
17. Les Bagg may have a sly ciggie
18. And the odd pint or two
19. Most of our lot will be home and asleep in the chair when the MOTD theme kicks in
20. Or talking nonsense in the John Bull
21. Bring on Daisy Hill!