Wednesday, 23 July 2008


Now something isn’t quite right here as that’s two games already where we’ve seen the kick-off. Granted last night’s game appeared to be delayed until Eastenders finished. If we’d known we’d have had another pint! Any road it was worth the wait as another decent crowd saw the best game of football this season.

The finishing of Cables was pretty clinical as they raced away to a two-goal lead. The deadlock was broken inside 10 mins when a throw in on the left wasn’t closed down and the out swinging cross reached the Prescot player unmarked at the back post and his miss hit shot found the corner of the net.

Other than that you’d have thought WRP were the team playing at the higher level as they passed the ball with aplomb over the Stadio de Robin Park bowling green. It also has to be noted that the linesman on our side got every decision right. The only problem was it was two minutes after the event when he put his flag up.

New signing Danny Worthington had the 1st shot on goal for the Robins, after beating several players his effort just outside the box failed to trouble the keeper. Prescot increased their lead on 34 mins when a strong run from the midfield wasn’t challenged and the ball squirmed through a few players before leaving the striker 1 on 1. His 1st effort hit the post but rebounded nicely to roll the ball into the empty net.

As the half progressed Prescot had a couple more chances to kill the game off whilst the Robins continued to play their total football. Meanwhile I’m sure the management will be looking at ways of eradicating the defensive lapses that have resulted in early goals going against them so far in pre-season.

HT 0-2

As normal the Robin Bastards (bolstered by an FC United fan that refused to go to Alty for their friendly) settled down to discuss the things that mattered like: Batman, training shoes, noisy U-12 kids, the lack of pies, the real reason why Jimmy Bullard left Latics, rugby league franchises and occasionally the football on offer.

If the first half had seen fine football but little reward in front of goal for WRP the second period was superb. With the light closing in and the five-a-siders making their way to the pub the Robins played some delightful football as they bombarded the Cables defence.

The Robins upped the tempo and started to apply pressure to the Prescot defence. The comeback started courtesy of centre half Dougy Pitts, A free kick on the left was swung in but the unchallenged keeper couldn’t keep hold of the ball and Dougy duly dispatched it into the net.

Prescot looked dangerous on the break with the defence and keeper on their toes at all times. Wigan equalized on 74 mins when good inter play found Adam Whittle on the right and his cross was glanced in by Mike Clandon moments after coming on as a sub. With time running out Prescot were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box but Keeper Jay Foulds managed to push the ball out to safety. This still left the Robins with the chance to nick it at the death but Ryan Edwards couldn’t keep his effort down when a goal looked certain

Both teams were given a good ovation and 2-2 was a fair result – with Prescot looking more clinical while the Robins knocked the ball about nicely. It augurs well – what with Prescot being three divisions higher – as we all look forward to Radcliffe Borough at home on Saturday

FT 2-2

For some great photos of the game check out

Many thanks to Jay Foulds - who put the facts to the rest of it

No comments: